Tuesday, September 22, 2009

High School English

August 31, 2009

[Re. Matt's note below]

I have a similar high school English class David story I need to tell! David and I were in many of the same English classes over the years. One year in high school, we together had Mrs. Greenspan for both English and Poetry. David could never understand why I had a soft spot in my heart for this woman for whom he had no patience or respect. This, of course, was a source of constant bickering between us. Anyway, all assignments were passed up to the front of the class and Mrs. Greenspan would read them aloud anonymously, and then begin a critique of what was read. One day, she begins to read aloud this anonymous poem:

"A bottle of white, a bottle of red....perhaps a bottle of rose instead. I'll meet you anytime you want, at our Italian restaurant."

I turned around in my seat to look at David who was sitting there grinning like the Cheshire Cat!

Robin Harbus-Fromme (no relation to Ethan, btw)

1 comment:

  1. I cannot begin to say how much I love this story, and how easily I can picture him doing this.

    ReplyDelete