Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Mets, and the Everglades

August 25, 2009

I love reading about David!

On May 30 I called David to see if he could join me & my son at Citifield as I was given good seats on the 3rd base side for 5/30. Dave & I talked about the Mets since the 69 Miracle but never made it to a game together.

Unfortunately he had to decline because he had a performance to review at the same time as the game (as I recall he said this was one of the few things that could tempt him to reject a job but he was committed)....

5/30/09 was the last day I spoke to David. He sounded great, and I remember it being one of our typical conversations: we always had stuff to talk about because, as I think Matt said, he was always interesting, and interested. We would talk & laugh (can't everyone still hear that laugh?) and laugh & talk, for an hour or two at a time and we'd only get off the phone if one of us HAD to attend to something else. What I'll miss the most is how easy it was to talk to him about anything. One topic would lead to another like movements in a symphony.

I'll always regret not going to a Met game with David. However, I remember going to the Everglades with him in a December, I think 1986 or 87. He introduced me to Turtle Soup and alligator (tastes like chicken!) at a place in the Keys, I think Islamorada...anyone know the name of that place? He had been there a few times. Maybe The Turtle Inn?

That's just one of many favorite David memories for me.

Steve Mernoff

No comments:

Post a Comment