Sunday, September 13, 2009

Meeting David's parents

August 12, 2009

All,

On the scale of amusing David stories, this one rates pretty low, but please indulge me. I drove to Sunday's service with Cari Howard. Cari, David, my wife Liz, and I all lived in the same dorm during our first year at UVA. David and I were suitemates while Liz and Cari lived in suites on the floors above us. I was telling Cari that I could recall meeting David's parents only once, on move-in day at the dorm in Aug 1980. I don't remember what I said or did on the occasion, but David later told me that his parents always had a certain fondness for me. At least I thought they did. The memory was so hazy and lacking in specifics that as I was talking to Cari I began to wonder if I had manufactured the whole conversation with David in my mind or perhaps I was confusing his parents with those of another friend.

After the service, back at the Fischers' home, I introduced myself to Mrs. Fischer and said I had met her and her husband that very first day at UVA at the dorm. Her expression grew distant and I could tell she was searching her own memories. After a beat, she said she remembered a boy sitting in front of the suite with his feet propped up on the balcony. Then it clicked. That was me. Now I have no idea why anyone would find that behavior on my part to be particularly endearing, charming, or memorable, and, alas, David is not around anymore to fill me in. But Mrs. Fischer was clearly pleased to be reminded of the episode and I was tickled, too, that we were able to share that memory, however indistinct it was in both our minds.

Anyway, it was a lovely service and very reaffirming to meet so many of David's friends from all phases of his life.

Jeff Seiken

No comments:

Post a Comment