Sunday, September 20, 2009

His sporting side: the Mets, soccer, and polo (not chicken)?!?

August 24, 2009

Dolph's wonderful tribute mentioned David's fandom for the Mets, an up-and-inevitably-down proposition these past few years. I wonder if he made it to Citi Field in this, its inaugural season. I suspect not, because it would've turned up on the blog. I vaguely remember attending a game with him at the terrible Shea Stadium during or right after college, perhaps with Howie in tow.

Harris and I saw the Mets this season in Baltimore, and we thought of David, as Camden was overrun with Mets fans. I sent him an account of the game and this photo of a "big Mets fan" we encountered. I was going to enclose the ticket stub in the get well card I never got to send. By the way, the Mets beat the Orioles that night.

I gleaned that David's sporting side had expanded to include soccer, and even polo! I'm especially interested in the latter. See, during our college years at University of Virginia, "preppies" were ascendant, polo was something preppies would enjoy, and David was no preppie. He must've had an epiphany similar to the one I had about lacrosse, 20 years later when preppies weren't all up in our heads: hey, this is a great sport!

Ben Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment